What Are The Software Testing Methods In Software Engineering?
There are three types of software testing methods or QA methodologies or testing methodologies in software testing:
- White Box Testing
- Black Box Testing
- Grey Box Testing
1. White Box Testing
- White box testing is done by a coder because code knowledge is required.
- It is also called as code-level testing/unit testing/clear box testing.
- In white box testing whenever the coder completes his code writing, he checks or compiles code then if any bug is found coder has to solve it.
- The coder cannot send code to test without doing white box testing.
- Coder checks or tests mostly positive scenarios only.
- White box testing has the purpose to test the correctness and completeness of the program.
2. Black Box Testing
- Black box testing is known as a system and function testing.
- This testing is done by a tester.
- Overall functionality gets checked in this type of testing.
- Testers check internal functionality depending upon external functionality.
Black box testing Example:
- The tester checks whenever the data is signed module got entered and users press the sign up button, this button is processed to store entered data. Tester check whether the data is stored correctly or not. So here internal functionality is storing data and external functionality is filling up data in fields and submitting buttons process.
Tester test the positive and negative scenarios.
Positive scenario means:
- If suppose we have a mobile number field with 10-digit functionality then as a tester we will check the field functionality by entering 10 digit number whether it works or not.
Negative scenario means:
- If suppose we have a mobile number field with 10-digit functionality then as a tester if we check with 9 digits or less as it should not accept or more than 10 digits.
3. Grey Box Testing
- Grey box testing is a combination of both white box testing and black box testing.
- To do grey box testing, the tester needs programming knowledge
- The role of the grey box tester is whenever the final software is handed over to the tester then the tester checks its functionality and if any fault occur in the output of function then the tester does not revert the system back to the developer, Instead of that tester himself solve or make changes in the code. So knowledge of coding is required.
Difference Between White Box Testing, Black Box Testing, And Grey Box Testing