In this article we learn the what is automation testing, why we go for automation testing, advantages and disadvantages of automation testing, importance of automation testing and why automation testing is required.
What is Automation Testing?
Testing an application or software with the help of any automation tool and executing the test script is called the automation testing.
Why we go for Automation Testing?
We are going for automation testing because there some disadvantage of manual testing that’s why we go for automation testing.
1. Compatibility testing is very difficult in manual testing because in which version browser and cross browser compatibility we are going to test so it is difficult in manual testing but it will be easy in automation testing.
2. As a tester we follow the software testing life cycle (STLC) so it will become lengthy and takes more time in manual testing.
3. More human resources and efforts required in manual testing.
4. We need to perform regression testing (means we need to execute test cases multiple times) so it will time consuming in manual testing.
5. We will not able to achieve that much accuracy in manual testing.
6. Test cycle duration will be increase.
So that’s we go for an automation testing.
Advantages of Automation Testing
1. We did not write the test cases multiple times so reusability is possible in this we are writing it once and used it many times.
2. So everything is depends on delivery we can reduce the project duration by using agile methodology with automation.
3. Compatibility testing is easy we can execute parallely in automation testing.
4. In automation testing less human efforts are required.
5. We can adopt any new technology at any time during automation.
Disadvantages of Automation Testing
1. For automation testing we required skilled humans.
2. For automation testing more money investment is required.
3. Knowledgeable resources are required for automation testing.
4. We need to do maintenance for automation tool.
Importance of Automation Testing
1. Companies not only want to test software adequately, but also as quickly and thoroughly as possible. To accomplish this goal, organizations are turning to automated testing.
2. To increase the test coverage.
3. Reduces the need for manual testing and discovers defects manual testing cannot expose and also manual testing is error prone and a time-consuming process.
4. Running the tests again and again gives us the confidence that the new work we added to the system did not break the code that used to work and also to make sure that the changes we introduced are working.
5. Executing the tests (particularly acceptance tests) can also help us understand what portion of the desired functionality has been implemented.
Why Automation Testing is required?
1. Automated software testing is the best way to increase the effectiveness, efficiency and coverage of your software testing. Every software development group tests its products, yet delivered software always has defects.
2. An automated software testing tool is able to playback pre-recorded and predefined actions compare the results to the expected behavior and report the success or failure of these manual tests to a test engineer.
3. Once automated tests are created, they can easily be repeated and they can be extended to perform tasks impossible with manual testing. Because of this, savvy managers have found that automated software testing is an essential component of successful development projects.