What is System Testing in Software Testing?
- System testing in software testing is a process of checking the completeness and correctness of the functionality of the system as per SRS and BRS.
- System Testing (ST) using a black box testing technique is performed to evaluate the complete system against requirements.
- In System testing, the functionalities of the system are tested from an end-to-end means all features.
- System Testing is performed by testers.
- System Testing is black box testing.
- System Testing is usually a combination of functional and non-functional testing.
Types of System Testing in Software Testing
- Functional Testing
- Non-Functional Testing
1) Functional Testing
- Functional system testing is a process of checking the correctness and completeness of the functionality of the build.
- Functional testing is the process of checking internal functionality depending on external functionality
- This type deals with the functional requirements or specifications of an application to be tested by providing the input and comparing it with the expected output.
- A few major types of Functional System Testing are:
- Smoke Testing
- Sanity Testing
- Integration Testing
- System Testing
- Regression Testing
- User Acceptance Testing
2) Non-Functional Testing
- Apart from the functionalities of the requirements, there are several non-functional requirements also need to be tested to improve the quality and performance of the application.
- A few major types of Non-Functional System Testing include:
- Usability Testing
- Load Testing
- Performance Testing
- Compatibility Testing
- Recovery testing
- Configuration testing
- Installation testing
- Globalization testing
- Parallel testing
- Sanitation testing
System Testing Process:
System Testing in software engineering is performed in the following steps:
- Create Test Case:
Generate test cases for the testing process.
- Create Test Data:
Generate the data that is to be tested.
- Test Environment Setup:
Create a testing environment for better quality testing.
- Execute Test Case:
After the generation of the test case and the test data, test cases are executed.
- Defect Reporting:
Defects in the system are detected.
- Regression Testing:
It is carried out to test the side effects of the testing process.
- Log Defects:
Defects are fixed in this step.
If the test is not successful then again the test is performed.
Q 1. System testing is which type of testing?
Ans: System testing is a type of black box testing and it is performed by the testers.